Salvia elegans is commonly known as the Pineapple Sage, a very fitting name. You won’t find pineapples on this perennial shrub however, instead you will smell them! That’s correct, Pineapple Sage has a strong pineapple fragrance that can be savored by being near the plant; rubbing the leaves will release more of the aromatic compounds thus intensifying the smell. Not only is this plant fragrant, it’s also edible and extremely fast growing.
Personally, I think that this is a sort of miracle plant for greenhouses. I found it to be surprisingly low maintenance, cheap, fast growing, and adaptive. Its technically not a “tropical” plant and thus it doesn’t require high humidity or constantly moist soil. In fact you should let the soil dry out a little in between watering. I bought my Pineapple Sage at a local nursery for 2$, and just about a month later it was already well over a foot tall and still growing! Additionally, these plants can be grown outside during normal spring/summer growing seasons and since they are perennials, they will grow back from mild frosts.
The Pineapple Sage plant thrives in full sun and well draining soil. Be sure to plant it only where there is adequate room as they can grow into large bushes (sometimes over 5 feet tall). Occasional trimming may also be required if you find yourself with a wild, unruly plant.
I am Carolyn S. Nash and I am 29 years old. I am a plant specialist. This is my website. A blog devoted to tropical plants from around the world, especially the edible ones!
- Is this a gift? Please choose "this is a gift" at check out to add a personalized message.
- The Money Tree is an easy-care houseplant that is said to bring prosperity and good luck to its owners
- Add life to a brightly lit room at home, a lightly shaded porch, or share the green with the office
- The Money Tree grows best near a sunny window, not in direct sunlight and thrive with a weekly watering
- Height at shipping is approximately 16-Inches tall, measured from the bottom of the pot to the top of the plant
- The Costa Farms Clean Air Plant Collection includes three plants from a grower’s choice assortment of small foliage plants. See image description of possible varieties that may be included; plants are selected by our expert growers based on seasonal availability.
- The O2 for You Clean air Plant collection are the most efficient plants around to filter indoor pollutants, allowing us to breathe clean air in our homes and offices, according to NASA studies
- Care varies from plant to plant, in general place the plants in a bright room and water weekly
- Height at shipping is ranges from 8-10 Inches tall, measured from the bottom of the pot to the top of the plant
- Each plant ships in a lightweight, 4-inch decor planter; made from a 100% recyclable #5 material. To help with water drainage, these containers have holes
- A character trait of the white bird of paradise is split-leaves or foliage. As the leaf matures it will begin to split and new growth Should appear. Its large leaves were designed to split, splitting is normal and part of the growing process. A mature White bird of paradise houseplant can grow 6 feet or more.
- Stunning tropical plant, easy to care for, excellent houseplant. Used in home décor and design. Ships well-rooted in grower pot dropped into lightweight décor planter. Height at shipping is approximately 28-Inches tall, measured from bottom of pot to top of plant.
- Water regularly; water when soil dries out. Can hold up well to drought. Place in a well-lit room; does best when receiving bright filtered light.
- Grown by the experts at Costa Farms; ships fast, direct from our farm to your home.
- For questions about your plant please don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected]