How to: Grow lychee by seed
Sapindaceae is a large plant family that includes many common and economically important genera and species, including maple trees, rambutan, longan and lychee. Lychee fruit comes from the Litchi chinensis tree and is in the monotypic genus Litchi, meaning it is the only species in the genus. Despite this, it is very similar in appearance to its relatives, the rambutan and longan. The lychee comes from China where it is a well-liked fruit and for the most part commercial cultivation is limited to south east Asia. The lychee tree can grow quite tall, and yields large bunches of bright (reddish) colored fruits.
Lychee trees can be grown in tropical and sub-tropical climates, requiring warm and wet summers as well as mild winters. Although they can handle short periods of frost, they are rather sensitive. Despite this they have been cultivated in many parts of the world including in the lower states of the U.S.
Lychee fruit can be purchased easily during the correct season (May – July) and often at a reasonable price. The fruits have three main components, a thin tough rind, thick sugary flesh and a hard dark seed. The flesh is delicious fresh, it is juicy with a somewhat floral flavor, and is stored well in the freezer for later use.
Growing lychee from seed:
Lychee seeds are quite easy to germinate through a variety of methods. Choose seeds that are from freshly eaten fruit, as they will have a much higher germination rate. Be sure to clean off any excess fruit from the seeds.
I am Carolyn S. Nash and i am 29 years old.I am a plant specialist. This is my website. A blog devoted to tropical plants from around the world, especially the edible ones!
- Is this a gift? Please choose "this is a gift" at check out to add a personalized message.
- The Money Tree is an easy-care houseplant that is said to bring prosperity and good luck to its owners
- Add life to a brightly lit room at home, a lightly shaded porch, or share the green with the office
- The Money Tree grows best near a sunny window, not in direct sunlight and thrive with a weekly watering
- Height at shipping is approximately 16-Inches tall, measured from the bottom of the pot to the top of the plant
- The Costa Farms Clean Air Plant Collection includes three plants from a grower’s choice assortment of small foliage plants. See image description of possible varieties that may be included; plants are selected by our expert growers based on seasonal availability.
- The O2 for You Clean air Plant collection are the most efficient plants around to filter indoor pollutants, allowing us to breathe clean air in our homes and offices, according to NASA studies
- Care varies from plant to plant, in general place the plants in a bright room and water weekly
- Height at shipping is ranges from 8-10 Inches tall, measured from the bottom of the pot to the top of the plant
- Each plant ships in a lightweight, 4-inch decor planter; made from a 100% recyclable #5 material. To help with water drainage, these containers have holes
- A character trait of the white bird of paradise is split-leaves or foliage. As the leaf matures it will begin to split and new growth Should appear. Its large leaves were designed to split, splitting is normal and part of the growing process. A mature White bird of paradise houseplant can grow 6 feet or more.
- Stunning tropical plant, easy to care for, excellent houseplant. Used in home décor and design. Ships well-rooted in grower pot dropped into lightweight décor planter. Height at shipping is approximately 28-Inches tall, measured from bottom of pot to top of plant.
- Water regularly; water when soil dries out. Can hold up well to drought. Place in a well-lit room; does best when receiving bright filtered light.
- Grown by the experts at Costa Farms; ships fast, direct from our farm to your home.
- For questions about your plant please don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected]