How to: Grow Kiwi from seed
Actinidia deliciosa is commonly known as the kiwi vine. These vines can grow well over 20 feet and develop thick woody stalks making it a sturdy perennial. Depending on the variety of fuzzy kiwi, it may be hardy down to zone 7. For those living in colder climates, Actinidia arguta, or hardy kiwi is available. While hardy kiwi’s are smaller and less impressive, they can survive temperatures in the negative fahrenheits!
Seeing as how I don’t have access to live kiwi plants, I opted to grow them from seed. It is possible to propagate this plant by cuttings, if you are lucky enough to find some. I used a store bought kiwi just as an experiment, and sure enough most of the seeds have sprouted. Time for germination can be over one month so be patient. You should keep the seeds in a warm (70F) area, either planted in soil or in a moist plastic bag. I was able to achieve germination of my kiwi seeds from planting them in soil, in a bag, and even in a cup of water. So when will your kiwi’s produce fruit? My guess is a few years. It’s a relatively slow growing vine but definitely an interesting addition to any home garden or greenhouse.Table could not be displayed.
Pollination of kiwi flowers is difficult and requires both a female and male plant. The female plant will bear fruit, while it is essential for the male plant to provide pollen. If you want to grow your own kiwi’s then you absolutely must have at least one male and one female. However if you want to maximize your kiwi output it would be wise to only have one or two male plants in addition to ten or more females. The extra pollen isn’t really necessary and as you can’t get fruit from the male plants there is no use in growing more than a few.
If you choose to grow your kiwi seeds in a soil medium then I would recommend using an all-purpose soil mix. Add in some vermiculite and perlite to keep the seeds happy, constantly moist yet not waterlogged.
I am Carolyn S. Nash and i am 29 years old.I am a plant specialist. This is my website. A blog devoted to tropical plants from around the world, especially the edible ones!
- Is this a gift? Please choose "this is a gift" at check out to add a personalized message.
- The Money Tree is an easy-care houseplant that is said to bring prosperity and good luck to its owners
- Add life to a brightly lit room at home, a lightly shaded porch, or share the green with the office
- The Money Tree grows best near a sunny window, not in direct sunlight and thrive with a weekly watering
- Height at shipping is approximately 16-Inches tall, measured from the bottom of the pot to the top of the plant
- The Costa Farms Clean Air Plant Collection includes three plants from a grower’s choice assortment of small foliage plants. See image description of possible varieties that may be included; plants are selected by our expert growers based on seasonal availability.
- The O2 for You Clean air Plant collection are the most efficient plants around to filter indoor pollutants, allowing us to breathe clean air in our homes and offices, according to NASA studies
- Care varies from plant to plant, in general place the plants in a bright room and water weekly
- Height at shipping is ranges from 8-10 Inches tall, measured from the bottom of the pot to the top of the plant
- Each plant ships in a lightweight, 4-inch decor planter; made from a 100% recyclable #5 material. To help with water drainage, these containers have holes
- A character trait of the white bird of paradise is split-leaves or foliage. As the leaf matures it will begin to split and new growth Should appear. Its large leaves were designed to split, splitting is normal and part of the growing process. A mature White bird of paradise houseplant can grow 6 feet or more.
- Stunning tropical plant, easy to care for, excellent houseplant. Used in home décor and design. Ships well-rooted in grower pot dropped into lightweight décor planter. Height at shipping is approximately 28-Inches tall, measured from bottom of pot to top of plant.
- Water regularly; water when soil dries out. Can hold up well to drought. Place in a well-lit room; does best when receiving bright filtered light.
- Grown by the experts at Costa Farms; ships fast, direct from our farm to your home.
- For questions about your plant please don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected]