How to: Grow horned melon
Cucumis metuliferus is more commonly referred to as kiwano, horned cucumber, and horned melon. Its names suit its appearance; a melon-like fruit with large spikes all over. It’s a vine native to Africa that bears spiny edible fruits. It is in the cucumber (Cucurbitaceae) family and doesn’t look too far off from a cucumber. This is an annual plant that is great for growing in the garden, especially against a fence to let it climb. The plant can’t survive cold temperatures so it is best grown as a summer crop. If planting outside, the seeds should be sown after the last frost or in spring. These don’t make good house plants because being an annual, they demand a lot more sunlight than a window can provide. While the plant itself isn’t very aesthetically pleasing, the fruits are. They usually have red, yellow, and green streaks.Table could not be displayed.
Where can you buy horned melons? I would recommend high-end grocery stores, or specialty grocers that carry a wide variety of fruits. I am unaware of anywhere that sells seeds or plants so your best bet is to buy a fruit and plant the seeds.
Not many people like the taste of horned melons, but I would recommend that you at least try one. To eat a horned melon, you should cut it in half and scoop out the inside with a spoon. You will notice that the fruit has hundreds of jelly-like portions, inside of which you will find a seed. The seeds are edible, but if you want to try your hand at planting one, you must first remove it from the surrounding gelatin (not as easy as it sounds). If you dislike the taste, try sprinkling some sugar on it.
This picture is a good example of the horned melon’s climbing potential. You should allow the plant to climb up a trellis or fence rather than spread out on the ground. This will protect your fruits, save space and make harvesting easier.
I am Carolyn S. Nash and i am 29 years old.I am a plant specialist. This is my website. A blog devoted to tropical plants from around the world, especially the edible ones!
- Is this a gift? Please choose "this is a gift" at check out to add a personalized message.
- The Money Tree is an easy-care houseplant that is said to bring prosperity and good luck to its owners
- Add life to a brightly lit room at home, a lightly shaded porch, or share the green with the office
- The Money Tree grows best near a sunny window, not in direct sunlight and thrive with a weekly watering
- Height at shipping is approximately 16-Inches tall, measured from the bottom of the pot to the top of the plant
- The Costa Farms Clean Air Plant Collection includes three plants from a grower’s choice assortment of small foliage plants. See image description of possible varieties that may be included; plants are selected by our expert growers based on seasonal availability.
- The O2 for You Clean air Plant collection are the most efficient plants around to filter indoor pollutants, allowing us to breathe clean air in our homes and offices, according to NASA studies
- Care varies from plant to plant, in general place the plants in a bright room and water weekly
- Height at shipping is ranges from 8-10 Inches tall, measured from the bottom of the pot to the top of the plant
- Each plant ships in a lightweight, 4-inch decor planter; made from a 100% recyclable #5 material. To help with water drainage, these containers have holes
- A character trait of the white bird of paradise is split-leaves or foliage. As the leaf matures it will begin to split and new growth Should appear. Its large leaves were designed to split, splitting is normal and part of the growing process. A mature White bird of paradise houseplant can grow 6 feet or more.
- Stunning tropical plant, easy to care for, excellent houseplant. Used in home décor and design. Ships well-rooted in grower pot dropped into lightweight décor planter. Height at shipping is approximately 28-Inches tall, measured from bottom of pot to top of plant.
- Water regularly; water when soil dries out. Can hold up well to drought. Place in a well-lit room; does best when receiving bright filtered light.
- Grown by the experts at Costa Farms; ships fast, direct from our farm to your home.
- For questions about your plant please don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected]