Most people live their lives drinking coffee every morning and few stop to think about where their precious beans come from. Most coffee beans come from Coffea arabica, while few come from other species such as Coffea canephora (robusta). The name of Coffea arabica gives a straightforward hint as to it’s origins, the Arabian peninsula, of course. The plant itself looks like a tall shrub but many consider it a tree as it can grow over 30ft tall. Similar to the tea plant, commercial coffee growers often prune down to as low as 6 feet for easier cultivation. Coffea plants can’t survive sub freezing temperatures, so they are best cultivated in tropical or subtropical regions. Those who wish to grow coffee in a greenhouse are in luck, coffee plants in greenhouses thrive, and can even put out beans! What I find interesting about this plant is the fact that as seedlings they grow fast, sturdy, and close together. This allows for braiding of the stems when they are young. When they mature the trunks of five or six plants become intertwined making a very cool braided effect.
Once a coffee plant is a few years old it will begin to flower profusely with many small white flowers coating the branches. Next comes the formation of coffee beans which come from small red berries on the plant which are collected, fermented, dried, and then roasted to create the drink that so many people depend on.
These are my Coffea arabica seedlings; they’re inside my house near a south facing window so they can get some sun, and they are growing quite a bit.
These are my seedlings that I have tied together in attempts at creating braided coffee plants. Be careful if you choose to do this with your plants, think ahead and plant the beans very close together so you don’t have to do any transplanting.
A lone Coffea berry on a Coffee tree. This picture was taken in the Tucson Botanical Garden’s greenhouse.
I am Carolyn S. Nash and I am 29 years old. I am a plant specialist. This is my website. A blog devoted to tropical plants from around the world, especially the edible ones!
- Is this a gift? Please choose "this is a gift" at check out to add a personalized message.
- The Money Tree is an easy-care houseplant that is said to bring prosperity and good luck to its owners
- Add life to a brightly lit room at home, a lightly shaded porch, or share the green with the office
- The Money Tree grows best near a sunny window, not in direct sunlight and thrive with a weekly watering
- Height at shipping is approximately 16-Inches tall, measured from the bottom of the pot to the top of the plant
- The Costa Farms Clean Air Plant Collection includes three plants from a grower’s choice assortment of small foliage plants. See image description of possible varieties that may be included; plants are selected by our expert growers based on seasonal availability.
- The O2 for You Clean air Plant collection are the most efficient plants around to filter indoor pollutants, allowing us to breathe clean air in our homes and offices, according to NASA studies
- Care varies from plant to plant, in general place the plants in a bright room and water weekly
- Height at shipping is ranges from 8-10 Inches tall, measured from the bottom of the pot to the top of the plant
- Each plant ships in a lightweight, 4-inch decor planter; made from a 100% recyclable #5 material. To help with water drainage, these containers have holes
- A character trait of the white bird of paradise is split-leaves or foliage. As the leaf matures it will begin to split and new growth Should appear. Its large leaves were designed to split, splitting is normal and part of the growing process. A mature White bird of paradise houseplant can grow 6 feet or more.
- Stunning tropical plant, easy to care for, excellent houseplant. Used in home décor and design. Ships well-rooted in grower pot dropped into lightweight décor planter. Height at shipping is approximately 28-Inches tall, measured from bottom of pot to top of plant.
- Water regularly; water when soil dries out. Can hold up well to drought. Place in a well-lit room; does best when receiving bright filtered light.
- Grown by the experts at Costa Farms; ships fast, direct from our farm to your home.
- For questions about your plant please don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected]